Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Welcome!

As a high school mathematics teacher, I get asked "when will we use this stuff" quite often. For years I have tried to give hypothetical situations - but no longer. I am asking all of you to provide any examples where mathematics has come into use during your daily life. My hope is to be able to share this blog with my students, as well as have them contribute - both now and after graduation. Thanks in advance for sharing and please feel free to refer others to this blog.

2 comments:

D. Robin said...

Today, I tried to figure out how many days were within four years... I asked my English students what I needed to know: they told me something about 365 x 4. I asked why, so then they explained the process. This question bridges the gap between mathematics and composition - they both require process. Showing work in drafts or in proofs is less reliant upon the correct answer or product (even though the end result usually stems from a process-oriented individual). At any rate, my students used both logic, mathematics, and communication in order to help me make my point. I hadn't planned on an interdisciplinary lesson... but there you go!

531280 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.